About the position
The University of Stavanger is seeking an Associate Professor in English language.
The subject area for the position is English linguistics and applied linguistics.
As an Associate Professor, you will primarily teach and supervise students at bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level within the subject area, conduct research and disseminate research results within relevant research areas at the department, and contribute to the development of partnerships with businesses.
The development/use of digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, value creation based on results from research, and academic/artistic development work, will be included in the position.
The general job description gives a more detailed account of the subject area and relevant duties for associate professors.
We are seeking an associate professor with a PhD or equivalent qualification in applied linguistics.
The applicant must have a broad linguistic background, with experience within modern English linguistics and applied linguistics. He or she must also have teaching experience from the Norwegian school system.
You must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, or complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years of the appointment start date. The course will be provided by the university.
The working and teaching languages are Norwegian and English. It is required that the applicant speaks Norwegian or another Scandinavian language well enough at the time of employment to partake in academic discussions, councils and advisory boards.
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure.
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi.
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, code 1011, NOK 580.000-680.000 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits.
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the company sports club
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Home-job-home, discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme in event of moving to Norway, including support and language courses for spouses
How To Apply
Apply for the position online via the “Apply for the position” link on this page. Here you can submit your application and CV with relevant education and experience.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application in separate files:
- relevant certificates and references.
- complete list of scientific work and artistic activity.
- up to 10 works which document your teaching and educational competence; see Guidelines for the Assessment of Teaching Skills.
- up to 10 scientific works which are pivotal to your research output, including your PhD thesis
- documentation of other relevant activities concerning the position requirements
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload. Information and documentation to be taken into account in the assessment must be submitted within the application deadline.