SeaMonitor is a novel and comprehensive project, the first of its kind in Europe, which will establish several large-scale marine telemetry arrays to track mobile marine fauna in the seas around Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the west of Scotland. It will use both existing data and data from several tracking studies to develop spatial models of coastal zone use and ultimately marine management plans for several species. This work will link to several other studies and will contribute to the growth of a regional ‘blue economy’ and align with regional activities with the EU’s Atlantic Strategy. SeaMonitor has been developed jointly by a consortium of nine Partners:
- The Loughs Agency
- The Marine Institute (Ireland)
- The Agri-Food & Biosciences Institute
- Queen’s University Belfast
- University of Glasgow
- University College Cork
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- University of California Davis
- Ocean Tracking Network – Dalhousie University
The Project will be jointly implemented by all partners working together across a range of activities.
Project Title: Monitoring Cetaceans and noise along the Malin to Islay Front using innovative acoustic technologies
PhD Scholarship DESCRIPTION
- PhD Title: PhD Postgraduate Research Opportunity
- Contract Type: 3-year funded PhD position
- Organization: Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)
- Location: Marine and Freshwater Research Centre, Dublin Road, Galway.
- Grade/Salary: €16,000 p/a
- Responsible to: Project supervisors Dr. Joanne O’Brien, Dr. Simon Berrow
- Must hold an Honors Degree (minimum 2:2, but 2:1 or higher is desirable) in marine science, ecology, conservation or related discipline. An MSc or equivalent experience in relevant discipline would be desirable.
- Full clean driver’s license.
- Bioacoustics experience in collection and analysis of marine mammal/noise data
- Statistical/spatial/habitat modelling
- GIS experience
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Eligible Countries: International Students or Any
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Available for PhD program at the university.
- Admissible Criteria: NA
How to apply
The required documents details are provided in the confidential Links of the University or Organization.
Student must have good command of written and spoken English.
- 26 August 2019